Around the world ....

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Play and work - the way it should be

I'm in South Island in Roxburgh now. It is half way between Invercargill (the lowest point), Dunedin (the Scottish City), and Queensland (adventure manic city).

Arrived on Firday night after 4 days travelling so was quite tired. On Saturday and Sunday and Monday I did a few of the walks around the area but saw very little as I couldn't be bothered to be to energetic :-) Monday was also Labour Day here so a day off for everyone. Therefore a bar-be-que was arranged! Lots of Frisbee(which I seem to be ok at I have found out), volleyball, football etc then feeding. Frisbee, football then clean the dishes and laze in front of the TV for the nights viewing. What a good way to spend a holiday -I wish it could be so in Britain because the weather was fantastic to go with it. I also happen to be the only native English speaking girl in the hostel and an Irish guy is the only other native English speaker there. Therefore it's great fun having conversations with everyone altogether.

On tuesday everyone else went to work and myself, Steven (Irish guy) and Fraser (camp hostel manager) lazed in the morning then went to a coffee place in Alexandra (a town about an hour's drive away) and sat there for the afternoon. I did manage to do some cooking in the morning so I now have some food for eating including jelly. It's the little delicacies that you have at home that are amazing to have when staying in a hostel because it's like being given gold!!!!

Today I got up at 6 in the morning to get ready for work - I won't be doing that tomorrow as I'm not getting washed till I get back to the hostel as there is no point. I'm thinning apricots!! In the orchard someone brought a radio so we have singing to the songs (generally old rock anthems) which is total joy and laughter. Most of the time you work silently and concentrate on the work especially as we are all beginners. Today I thinned 4 and 1/2 trees so in theory I made about $20. Thank God for contract by the hour wark to begin with. Next week I go onto pay by the tree rates so I hope to do better than that. To make up to the pay by the hour rate I need to thin 4 times as many as today Eurgh!!!!!!!!!!!! Why oh why did I decide to do this - I must have been crazy! :-) Can't wait till cherry season in December as then you can earn almost $1000 a week - Wahay!! But lots of thinning before then - Damn!

Got to go and make some dinner as I am starving then couch in front of TV tonight before tomorrows slaving :-)