Around the world ....

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

I only brought one jumper - muppit!!

Well if you want an update on New Zealand this is it - it is still Freezing! It really does feel at night like the temps we might see in Scotland when we're waiting on Christmas and the snow. During the day is OK so long as you keep moving and wear plenty of layers. I can't believe I only brought one jumper and a sleepless jacket. Unfortunately I spotted last night that my jumper had marks that look suspiciously like toothpaste. Damn I have no idea how they got there all I know is I had to buy a jumper today. So it's a cozy jacket with LOng sleeves and therefore looks reasonably smart (at least for me).

I've got so much to do tomorrow (or today as it is 1 in the morn - I have found a great book and the film Lock, Stock .... was put on) as I move in with my aunt to the spare bedroom. At least the house has heating which is a dire advantage to this hostel! Other than that the hostel is great. I have yet to get a bank account and a job - what a disaster area I am BUT I am determined and I have been looking. I have cut down my choices to two banks - it is quite a hard decision as the banks all charge for the account to be there, for transactions carried out (even at their own branches and ATMs) etc. I am a long way from home and civilisation where having your money in an account means that you get a small interest for giving the bank that money to invest for itself, not that they charge you so they can play the stockmarket with your money - MGS (Money grabbing Satins).

Well I suppose I should get to bed for the evening but before I do something that may make you laugh. On my first night here I joined the others going to the pub - and I got ID'd. Being 21 and never having been ID'd for a long while I didn't bring any as the pub in Sydney had been fine with my age and looks (among the topless waiters and Playboy girls at the Playboy night). I had to walk home in the ... weather here and get some only for me to wait at the door when I got back till the bar manager checked it. I didn't even get ID'd as I went into the club further up the road - there is a certain advantage to going to a club with other back-packers, you don't need to get dressed up Yippee!! And being in a crowd you can talk to the cute, rich, Irish accountant back-packers from the hostel - what fun!!

Well bye for now, Hopefully when I get back on I'll not be whinging about the weather so much as I am sure you will all agree!